Get My Books at Amazon

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Resolutions

The other day, J A Konrath's put up his writer resolutions for the new year.  He also included his resolutions from past years. It was cool to see how they have changed dramatically in such a short time.
How did they change? Well from about 2006 to 2009 his goals were all related to traditional publishing. They were things like sending queries to agents, and using rejection as motivation. But then in 2010 he mentions the ebook revolution. And then in 2011 his goal becomes a definite 'I will self publish.'

Check out the post. It's awesome.

After following Konrath's Blog for awhile and reading all the evidence that he laid out, I have to say I totally agree with him on self publishing. Which is weird because at the start of the year I was against self-publishing. But everything that Joe said on his blog made sense. Everything from the better royalty rates, to the increased creative control. It all made sooooo much sense.

The key difference in the market place that allows people to self-publish and be successful (people like Joe Konrath and Amanda Hocking) is distribution. In simple terms - more and more people are buying ebooks off the internet and reading them on their ereaders. This means that writers no longer need a publishing company to print physical copies of their books and distribute them to book stores.

I wanted to be a part of this movement. I wanted to have my work available as an ebook.  So that's what I did. I uploaded Dead Forest (the first volume in a series of novellas about  demonic ninja and samurai and zombies, oh my.) And I'm planning to publish a whole lot more. Which leads me into my resolutions for 2011.

I've never actually sat down and put into writing my new years resolutions. Come to think of it, I've never even made new years resolutions before.

But I'm going to make some now. So here goes....

1. Self publish a trilogy of ebooks

2. Self publish another trilogy of ebooks.

That is all.

Will I be able to do this in one year? Probably not. One trilogy, let alone 2 is a huge task. Especially since it took me about 6 months to complete my last novel. But as Oscar Wilde once said, 'Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars.'

So that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna shoot for the moon.

Happy freakin New Year.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you luck as that is what I'm hoping to accomplish soon as well ^^

    ReplyDelete